Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Road Trip

We got us this morning and did a road trip. Drove about 70 miles north of where we live to a town called Houlton, Maine.Right on the Candian border.. Why ? Well half way up there we asked ourselves the same thing..WHY?But, when your on a mission ,Why? doesn't even matter anymore .. It's WHEN? will we get there!! Took only about an hour and a half of driving.. The first 25 miles there was civilization.. then another 40 miles of absolutly nothing!!Oh ,there was plenty of trees and I think we might of passed two cars along the way.Waved to them, just because I felt we had a kinship to them, being all alone on that backroad.
Our mission was to get new flooring for our house , which we finally did manage to do, at the Mardens Store. Who held it for us ,until we got there. Not that there was a mad rush for it, but we didn't want to take a long ride for nothing.
So,being in a new place, why not look around the town and check out all the good places to shop. And to me the good places are the Thriftshops and Bargain stores. We found a second hand book store.I am all for enterprise in this country, but give me a break. This place wanted $19.00 for the 4 books I picked up. 3 hardcover and 1 soft cover. I knew they were used because they had the old owners names in them and were a little ratty tatty on the edges . Not that I wouldn't pay a decent price for books, but come on!! I told the owner I can go to yardsales and buy them for a buck or less. His response was, he has to heat the building and wouldn't be able to if he sells them to cheap!! For crying out loud,, there was 300,000 books in the place. Sell them cheaper and you and go south for the winter ! As it was I left the books beside him,thinking..at these prices you might as well burn them and heat your building next winter...HA! I guess I showed him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment